Responsible for preparing monthly sales and use tax returns, annual Secretary of State filings, annual business license filings, annual unclaimed property filings, and other miscellaneous tax related filings. Responsibilities will also include requesting and maintaining exemption certificate databases, preparing exemption certificates, reviewing purchasing reports and invoices to ensure accurate reporting of use tax, reconciling monthly sales tax reports to general ledger accounts, support state tax audits, and assist in other department responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review internal purchase reports and invoices to verify the correct sales or use tax is applied.
- Prepare and manage annual corporate filings with applicable Secretary of State Offices.
- Prepare and manage filings for municipal business licenses.
- Prepare annual unclaimed property and escheat returns.
- Maintain resale and exemption certificate databases.
- Issue exemption certificates for applicable purchases.
- Stay up-to-date on current developments and procedures in state sales & use tax law.
- Work with 3rd party sales tax automation software and internal AS400 applications.
- Assist corporate personnel with tax matters and provide information to other departments as needed.
- Make recommendations and improves to internal controls and tax preparation processes.
- Reconcile monthly sales tax collections with account balances in the general ledger account.
- Other duties may be assigned as applicable to support the tax function.
Skills and Qualifications:
- B.S. in accounting with sales & use tax experience or equivalent work experience.
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Self-motivated and able to work with deadlines.
- Strong organizational, record-keeping and follow-up skills.
- Proficient with Excel and the use of formulas and functions.
- Demonstrate the ability to work closely with divisional personnel and accounting department.
- Build and maintain solid work relationships with all levels of staff and management.
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive and an effective team member.
Location/Region: Upstate SC