The Greenville News/greenvilleonline.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, seeking a reporter to cover growth and development in Greenville County, South Carolina.
This position demands an aggressive reporter who knows how to file effective FOIA requests, and also knows how to tell the stories of real people impacted by the issues that come along with being one of the fastest-growing communities in the Southeast: Increasing cost of living, overtaxed infrastructure, gentrification, poverty, growth management, sprawl and other issues drive important conversations about the future of our community.
We need a reporter who can keep our audience informed about decisions that officials make, but who also know our communities because they spend time out of the office talking to people in ways that lead us to genuine stories about those affected by leaders’ decisions.
We also want to hold our elected leaders accountable: How are they spending taxpayers’ money? Are they being unduly influenced? Are they conducting business in the light of day?
Critical thinking, a creative approach to the reporting process and sharp, clear and insightful writing about sometimes complex issues are critical to this job.
We are in a competitive news environment that demands a nimble approach to the job. Breaking a story is critical. Writing deep enterprise content that looks at key problems and seeks out workable solutions is essential. Being involved in our community so that you know all the stakeholders is vital.
Any serious candidate should have work samples that demonstrate an aptitude for data-driven stories, and a track record of producing compelling, timely, well-sourced stories that tell stories about the people behind the data.
Oh, and come ready to fight because we have a new competitor in town, and we intend to win.
Greenville is the anchor city in a metropolitan area of roughly 1 million people that is consistently listed among the best places to live in the United States. It is one of the fastest growing cities in the country and sits halfway between Charlotte and Atlanta. We are 45 minutes from the Blue Ridge Mountains and three hours from the Atlantic Coast.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what’s working and what’s not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism, business, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two to five years of reporting experience. Experience with datasets and/or retrieving public records through the FOIA process.
- Work samples that demonstrate storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Proven experience producing accurate reports under deadline pressure, in a style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to shoot basic photos and videos in a breaking news situation
- Strong news judgement and ability to multitask
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Must be able to work occasional night and weekend shifts.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen (for all driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order: 1. Your resume – one to two pages. 2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job. 3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role. It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration. #Content Here’s what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match! Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status. Other details
Location/Region: Greenville, SC